Monday, May 11, 2009

Old blog, new reason to

I started this blog a few years ago. The original intent is long gone, and I don't really remember what it was all about anyway. It seems like it was started a lifetime ago by someone else, like some old roommate that still stops in from time to time.

This blog is now to practice my writing. I might post up a short story or an excerpt of my life, whatever motivates me at the moment. My first thoughts were to write all this down in private, so it would be personal. While a good idea, I wanted to practice writing for others to read. Writing personally means far too many dark secrets and opinions that would never be critiqued or fit for other's eyes. I'll do that if I need to work out personal issues, but not here.

I've learned a lot of rules in writing in a pretty short amount of time. Rule number one is; if you are going to be a better writer, you have to write... a lot. I've gotten a few short stories and some flash fiction completed and even entered a contest. I have a lot of little rambling bits and pieces though that just don't fit on paper. While I can't tell you that anything here will ever be interesting, it will be free of bullshit and as honest as possible. If anything here isn't accurate, it's because I either don't remember or have changed names for the sake of the innocent.

In my new "adventure" in writing, I've picked up a few great books along the way. The best purchase I have made is Steven King's On Writing. While reading through his chapters I've made a connection with his life and mine. We are two men from completely different eras, yet we share many of the same life experiences. Sometimes so identical it's scary. However, this is Steven King, and obviously a writer of his calibre knows how to stir the reader's soul to feel that way. Whether or not I have any more in common with him than the next guy, it doesn't matter, he's inspired me to write this blog. That's what's important.

No comments: